Lunch Time Discussion on Degrowth with Vincent Liegey
Location: TIGY, Nador 11 Building Central European University
Time: 12:30pm, December 17th, 2014
Have you heard about the Degrowth Movement? Have you ever wanted to learn more about this growing cause which attempts to outline pathways for democratic and serene transitions towards prosperity without growth?
Degrowth is an emerging political movement and also a new field of research. In reminding us that infinite growth in a finite world is an absurd concept, it demonstrates the physical and also the cultural limits to growth. Through its radical critics and also through alternatives, initiatives and reflections, it opens and experiments paths to a democratic transition to sustainable and desirable models of society.
Join us for an open discussion about what the Degrowth movement represents, its critical arguments, and how its principles are taking form in solidarity movements across Europe and the globe. In particular, the discussion will focus on how Degrowth in practice is already changing our local community, and others in the world. The beginning of a successful story?
Vincent Liegey, Co-author of „A Degrowth Project, Manifesto for an Unconditional Autonomy Allowance”, Éditions Utopia, 2013, and Spokesperson of the French Degrowth movement, and supporter of the Degrowth inspired Cyclonomia Bike Co-op in Budapest, will lead a discussion focusing on the history of the Degrowth Movement, its implications on society, and practical examples of the implementation of Degrowth principles locally.
You are invited to bring friends, advocates and critics, and any questions or queries you may have to this discussion which will attempt to shed light on the myths surrounding the Degrowth Movement and its supporters.
We encourage you to bring a locally and consciously sourced home made snack with you. Tea will be served!
More articles in English:
- « A Degrowth Project » in Libération: Vincent Liegey : “We can no longer grow in a finite world”
- « A Degrowth Project » in « Le Monde »
- A Degrowth Project on Slate.fr: « To do away with the God of Growth »
- The transition is underway! – In Reporterre.net
- Vincent Liegey : “The freedom to consume is a costly illusion” – A Degrowth Project in Bastamag.
- « A Degrowth Project » : Yesterday’s utopia has become today’s reality!
- A Degrowth Project on Visegrad Revue: Degrowth in post-socialist countries